Another year has surfaced through the grim and grimy past of yesteryear. Or something like that. Often we look back on the time that has passed and think (or maybe this is just me?) “How the heck did I make it through that?”. I look back on 2016 and think “how the heck did I do that?!” We are much more capable then we think. I often OFTEN underestimate myself. It’s part of my character (that bad trait!). Apparently people who are talented often think they are untalented, crap and not good at anything. HERE HERE. That is me. I go through so much doubt sometimes that my middle name should have been Thomas (you know, from the Bible, doubting Thomas?) I have no middle name. The point I am making is that when you simply put one foot in front of the other you will reach your goals, you will reach the finish line, you will get that assignment done, that work headache sorted out, you will get your short film made, nail that audition, get the training you deserve, get your big break (I am preaching to myself more then I am to you!)
I get days where I think I will never ‘make it’. For me making it means being successful as an actor, writer, director and entertainer. I should probably define what ‘success’ means to me too in these categories.
1. Making my own work, with a big-ish budget – thus having a producer, money coming in that I can rely on (and don’t have to worry or manage myself) and a great crew! So I can just focus on directing/writing/acting.
2. A large audience (over a million) that watches and appreciates my work
3. Being in other peoples’ great films/shows. Great films are films with good storylines, interesting and complex characters, something that ‘moves’ me and makes me empathise with humanity, a story that teaches me and the audience something new, thrilling, exciting, funny, beautiful, deep!
4. Having my screenplays/TV series made really really well and having a firm hand in the creation of it
5. Being sought after to appear in great films/shows
6. Entertaining audiences across the world – bringing joy, hope, laughter and a deep connection back to the ones they love.
7. Working with the best of the best actors, producers, writers, directors etc that also happen to be really amazing and good people.
8. Oh yeah and being paid for doing all these things, enough to live comfortably on and maybe get a horse!
These goals seem really really high. Like astronomically high. Well all I can do is put one foot in front of the other and take it one day at a time. Eventually somethings gotta give and a door’s gotta open! I just gotta keep knocking and working my butt off!!